Friday, January 18, 2008

Best Picture














It goes down like this: absolutely No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Pretty darn sure for Michael Clayton. Juno’s lookin’ good. Finally, I’m torn between Diving Bell or Into the Wild. The Best Picture and Director nominees nearly always have one or two mismatches, and foreign films are often recognized for directing but not for Best Picture (City of God, Talk to Her) unless they were a big cross-over hit (Crouching Tiger…, Life is Beautiful.) So for the sake of finalizing my pics, I’ll give the slight homegrown advantage to Into the Wild.








The Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday, January 22 at 5:30 a.m. (Pacific time.) That’s 7:30 Chicago time; How will I watch the live announcement before work???

1 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you probably have 4 out of 5 right here for sure. I'm with you on Into the Wild being deserving of a nomination, but I am not so sure the Academy will be as kind to it for Best Director or Best Picture.

American Gangster is probably also out, given it's controversy, despite it's overall quality. 3:10 to Yuma probably doesn't have enough to get it a nom here.

I'll go out on a limb and say Gone Baby Gone gets a surprise nomination here, given it's star power and overall quality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home