Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nomination Reactions!

Best Actor: 3/5
Demian Bichir and Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) instead of Leonardo DiCaprio and Michael Fassbender. I haven't seen any of these four performances, so I can only say I'm glad Gary Oldman finally got his first nomination.

Best Actress: 4/5
Rooney Mara instead of Tilda Swinton. I haven't seen either performance, but I'm glad there's at least one first-timer in this race.

Best Supporting Actor: 3/5
Nick Nolte and Max Von Sydow(Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) instead of Albert Brooks and Armie Hammer. I hated Drive with a burning passion, and the role was no indication of Albert's range or talent, but I'm still bummed that he was passed up. With The Artist, plus Von Sydow's performance as a mute, there are three silent performances in the running.

Best Supporting Actress: 5/5
Score!

Best Adapted Screenplay: 4/5
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy instead of The Help. I can't complain, the script for The Help needed some serious work.

Best Original Screenplay: 3/5
Margin Call and A Separation instead of 50/50 and Young Adult. Margin Call?!?! What on earth is Margin Call?!?! I'm especially disappointed for 50/50, which was so wonderfully written.

Best Director: 4/5
Terrence Malick instead of Steven Spielberg. Remember when Malick was last nominated, for The Thin Red Line, and every single article about the Best Director race used the same file photo? Well, that's still the only public photo of Malick, and that same file photo is going to show up on every digital and print article all over again.

Best Picture: 6/6
Plus Moneyball, The Tree of Life, and War Horse. Ugh, this ever-changing Best Picture category pisses me off. As with the last two years, I think it's safe to say that the five also nominated for Best Director are the "real" nominees, and the other four are the "extras."

As for everything else, I was disappointed to see Jason Segal and Mary J. Blige passed up for Best Song, but thrilled for Bret McKenzie's inclusion for "Man or Muppet." I hope he and Jason Segal both perform it on the show!

So there are 21 films sharing the top 44 nominations. Keep track of how many films you've seen (and how much they're weighted, nomination-wise) with this fun-to-color scorecard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home